Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Baila, gringa, baila!

Well, today was theoretically just a typical day in Chile.  I had two classes to give and they both went relatively well.  One was a basic class and one was an intermediate.  I like Wednesdays, they are pretty easy and I like both the classes I teach.  My Tuesday-Thursday 8:30 AM class asked me earlier in the week if I'd like to get a drink with them today.  I said "yes" hoping to get to know some of my students better.  Today we went to a bar called "La Piojera."  I've been there several times.  It's kind of a tourist spot and at the same time totally, authentically Chilean.  My students, although Chilean, had never been there and my friend Jenna had never been there either so I invited her. 

We started the night with one "terremoto."  This is a Chilean drink compose of wine, fernet (Argentine liquor) and pineapple ice cream.  We were talking, singing and having a great time.  My students are all around my age so we have a lot to talk about.  It was nice to get to know them outside of an academic atmosphere.  We talked about love lives, jobs and they wanted to ask me a lot about the US.  They are one of my favorite classes.  Such a fun group. Then we ordered another terremoto...and another.  Then another professor from my campus joined us.  By then we were having a blast.  Singing with the band that was playing, singing alone.  At one point I got up to use the restroom where I was followed by applause from some of the Chilean men in the bar.  On the way back I was welcomed by the chant "Baila, gringa, baila!" which basically means, "dance, blonde girl, dance!"  So, I danced a little, to more applause, and then sat back down. 

Me with my new hat and heart balloon
We left a little while later, my class telling me to be sure to be there tomorrow at 8:30!  The assured me they would be there too, but we'll see.  Before we headed to the metro my friend Jenna wanted to check out a shoe store that she'd seen.  She wanted to buy some boots, since we're heading into winter.  In the store there were four male employees.  Each employee treated us like we were the best thing they'd ever seen.  They were helpful, to the point of almost being annoying and Jenna got the boots she wanted.  On our way out they asked us out for drinks, gave us hats with their store's name on them, took pictures of us for some ads and gave us heart-shaped balloons.  Not an unusual night in Chile.

1 comment: